The 27 Hour Border Crossing

In yesterday’s post, I spoke of the problem with getting Terry’s bike into Costa Rica. No level of authority at that border was willing to approve Terry getting his current ride into the country while “The Computer” said he still had one imported. He had provided the freight documents showing that his ride from 3 years ago had been returned to Florida. Apparently, the freight company had not completed required Customs paperwork. When Terry and Kevin attempted to contact the freight company for help, they found out that the company had gone out of business.
They tried to find a backpacker heading north and get him/her to import Terry’s bike and get a ride across Costa Rica. No luck. Nothing was resolved by the end of business yesterday so Terry’s bike sat on the Panama side of the border overnight. Terry, Kevin, and Peter, who had already been stamped into Costa Rica, got a hotel room and planned an alternate strategy.
Barbel is our sole passenger riding the entire expedition. She and her husband Erwin are generous, kind, wonderful people. They were called on for the rescue mission. Richard asked if they would return the 160 miles to the border and have Barbel “import” Terry’s bike in her name. They accepted the call, were at the border by its 8am opening, completed Power of Attorney documents, and had the five of them on the road by 11am.

Meanwhile, we again enjoyed riding with Richard and Chuck. The view from the end of a peninsula in a Pacific Ocean harbor justified my first attempt at navigating a rocky road since the dog incident.
We crossed the “Friendship Bridge.” This bridge was a “gift” from Taiwan to the people of Costa Rica in exchange for the promise of 20 years of fishing rights for the Taiwanese. A few years into the agreement, the new Costa Rican government renigued on their deal and terminated the fishing rights. The bridge still stands, though in bad shape because of a bad design. It is now known as the “screw you” birdge.

After a 300+ mile riding day, the next challenge for my sprained ankle was the ten miles of rocky, hilly, dirt road to get to the Borinquen Mountain Resort. We made it to our cozy cottage on the hill. Natural hot spring mud baths soothed our sore muscles. After enjoying the sunset from our porch, we went to hear the tales of the 27 hour border crossing. It was great to have our group all together again.

17-Mar Jaco to Rincon, Costa Rica 170 miles

No tags for this post.
You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

Leave a Reply

CommentLuv badge
Powered by WordPress | New cell phones free at | Thanks to Best T-Mobile Deals, Facebook Games and Debt Advice